Everyone deserves to have good food.
Our food retail environment means some of our communities can be considered food swamps, where the density of foods high in fat, sugar and salt with minimal nutritional value outweigh access to healthier food. To see the food retail environment in your community check out our interactive map.
Making it easy for our tamariki, whānau and our whole hāpori to access good food is vital for creating a healthier and happy Hutt Valley. That is why we are working with stakeholders and our community partners to re-activate the food system to make healthy food more accessible and affordable.
Why is this important?
- Only 70% of Hutt Valley children are eating the recommended amount of fruit which is lower than the rest of New Zealand (74%)
- Our children are eating too much unhealthy food and drinking too much fizzy
How we’re increasing access to healthy kai
We are leading large scale community engagement in two communities: Wainuiomata and Taitā and Pomare, with a focus on the food system. The insights from this engagement have been consolidated into a comprehensive summary which has been further strengthened by further insights from whānau and stakeholders, outlining their food experiences from COVID-19. These insights are being used to inform decision makers, as well as inspiring action that addresses the unique needs of these local communities in order to create a resilient and regenerative food system.
What can you do?
- Get in touch with us and share your learning and knowledge of how we can make good food the reality.
- Work with us to bring in more ideas and design real solutions for action in Wainuiomata or Taitā and Pomare.
- Use your consumer power to support healthy kai retailers in your community
- Join us to continue to lift the community voice to influcence change to our food environment.
Imagine if our community achieved kai sovereignty, where good food was easily available and affordable for everyone and eating healthy kai was a normal part of everyday life.
Want to help?
Share your insights around the value of healthy kai.